What is a keratometer?
A keratometer (sometimes referred to as an ophthalmometer) is a device used for measuring the curvature of the cornea’s frontal surface. A kertatometer provides the following information:
- The radius of the curvature of the anterior surface of the cornea.
- The axis and degree of cornea astigmatism.
- The occurrence of any form of corneal distortion.
- The direction of the eye’s principal meridian (with-the-rule or against-the rule astigmatism).
What is the keratometer used for?
The keratometer is used for the following:
- Fitting of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- Evaluating the degree of astigmatism for diagnosis.
- Analysing and diagnosing patients having keratoconus.
- Determining intraocular lens power for patients suffering from cataracts.
Manual Keratometer vs Automated Keratometer
Manual keratometers provides:
- A clear reading of the pre-corneal tear film.
- A dynamic image of the corneal surface.
- Clear visualisation of the reflections produced by the corneal tear film.
- Accurate measurements produced from manual fine adjusting.
Automated keratometers provides:
- A static image of the corneal surface.
- Computer generated adjustments for readings.
Keratometry requires precise measurements as eye operations are critical and often irreversible. So, errors in measurements can cause huge issues. While automated keratometers are useful and comparatively easy to use for beginners, manual keratometers provide more accurate readings. An experienced professional generally prefer using the manual instrument for fine adjustments. However, nowadays updated automated instruments are comparable to manual design. It is very important to be completely sure about the readings before one opts for surgery or orders an eye lens. Both the patient and the doctor should be satisfied with the reading values.
Bioscint Engineering can support and supply your clinic or practice with automated and manual keratometers and varied ophthalmic equipment from brands such as Takagi and Tomey. We also support our installations with technical after sales support in case of any issue that may arise. Kindly get in touch with us directly for further information and quotes.